We recently had house guests and while I love having a house full of people, it’s a challenge to come up with family friendly (more particularly kid-friendly) meals to feed a bunch of people. Plus, I actually like to visit with my guests as opposed to spending all my time in the kitchen. So I plan ahead and shop ahead to make sure I have all the ingredients on hand I’ll need.
My boyfriend’s kids love my Mac n’ Cheese, so I paired it with Pepperoni Pizza Muffins (follow link for the recipe) I found via Pinterest for a delightful crowd pleasing, comfort food style meal.
1 lb shell macaroni
1 cup dried bread crumbs (Italian style)
1/4 cup Olive Oil
5 TBSP butter
1/2 Cup all purpose flour (though I often times substitute wheat flour)
6 Cups whole milk
1 8oz container Ricotta Cheese
4 Cups grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook the macaroni until almost tender. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- In a small separate bowl combine bread crumbs and olive oil and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat melt the butter. Stirring constantly, add the flour and cook for 3 minutes. Still stirring constantly, slowly add the milk and cook for about 5 minutes continuing to stir constantly.
- Add the Cheddar and Ricotta and stir until think and creamy-about 5 more minutes.
- Combine sauce mixture with macaroni.
- Transfer to baking dish and top with bread crumb mixture.
- Bake uncovered for about 25 minutes or until golden and bubbling slightly around the edges.